wh40k RPGs – grim adventure in the 41st Millennium
Warhammer 40,000 (wh40k) RPGs
Although I gave up tabletop war-gaming many years ago, I still have fond memories of Warhammer 40,000 (aka WH40k). In fact it was the first I actually owned, way back in 1987. I was pretty keen to give the Dark Heresy RPG a go, set as it is in the WH40k universe (along with Rogue Trader and Deathwatch). As well as playing in a number of campaigns now, I have also run the occasional game at ORC. I also ran an Arbites game called “Fires of Perdition”, which has its own page here.
I first remember running many wh40k games on a pal’s dining table, including the Epic scale Space Marine and Adeptus Titanicus. I also have a first edition printing of the original wh40k rulebook featuring the cover where the Crimson Fists last stand against Orkish invaders. It’s interesting to note that there is no mention of Chaos or the Chaos powers, although mention is made of warp entities.
More information on the games I run and play in can be found in the Shadow on the Warp section of the ORC wiki. It also contains details of the PC (Player Characters) I played in other games.
wh40k Player Characters
Here’s a list of my current PCs and also those that have given their lives in the service of the Emperor!
- Whorl, an assassin from the Feral world of Malebolge. Tough and hard-bitten, he is now famous for using a combine harvester in a hit upon a target.
- Ferrus Roth - Arbitrator, an Arbitrator Enforcer (Dark Heresy). I see him as a kind of mixture of ‘Dirty’ Harry Callaghan and Gibbs from TV’s NCIS.
- Brother Sammeal, a Dark Angel Apothecary. Short in stature for an Astartes, he still managed to beat down a Space Wolf in their ritual contest.
- Diogenes Valexos, also known as Basilisk. A Navigator PC on the Rogue Trader ship Tranquility. Although a powerful Navigator, he is now more reptile than human, with sharp teeth and claws, the result of increased exposure to the Warp and enhanced Navigator powers.
- The Screaming Eagles Guardsmen PCs as featured in the Shadow on the Warp games (Part 1 and 2).